Newsletter - December 2011
The committee remains vigilant and active on any issues raised on the proposed wind farm and this is a brief message to our supporters to update you on the current position.
At this time it has gone quiet with Broadview extending their timeline which is excellent news as this gives us more time to collate data prior to Broadview attempting to put in a planning application.
From a local survey we have almost 90% backing from the residents of Rooksbridge and East Brent against the proposed wind farm and we have made representations to the Parish Council, Sedgemoor District Council, our local County Councillor John Denbee, and last but not least our local MP Tessa Munt. We are heartened that Tessa and John are fully behind our campaign to beat this senseless proposal and send it packing!
We have people on the committee giving up their valuable time on your behalf scouring the internet, political commentaries, and environmental issues so we can be prepared to fight this unreasonable proposal.
Unfortunately there is a hard fact that we do need money to be able to obtain Independent reports to back up our findings and we have held some social events which has already raised funds to get us going. We hope you have enjoyed these events. We will need to continue with this and we ask that if you are behind your committee that you continue to attend the functions and contribute as much as you can while being entertained.
We DO NOT intend to give up the fight and we are not going to let this slip though and we remain vigilant. We must all be aware that while the pace of progress seems slow at present we duly expect this to become quite frantic when planning is sought.
Thank you all for your continued support and on behalf of the committee we wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Newsletter - August 2011
Welcome to our first newsletter. We are giving residents/supporters an update of the present position and what the committee have achieved to date.
- The first meeting organised by the original core committee at the Wellington Arms on 7th July was attended by 130+ residents and gave us a mandate to form a committee.
- A full working committee has now been established of very experienced people in differing fields of expertise. I am proud to be part of it.
- Posters, signs and banners have been put up in Rooksbridge and East Brent. Residents and Broadview are aware of us and our intentions.
- A meeting was called by East Brent Parish Council on Monday 18th July at the village hall with Broadview and NoPilrow putting their views to local residents. Over 150 people turned up and gave almost unanimous support for opposing the wind farm.
- All Broadview presentations in July at East Brent, Rooksbridge and Mark were shadowed and the overwhelming majority of people attending these have indicated that they oppose the wind farm.
- A database of over 250 residents/supporters against the wind farm has been established with over 100 people providing email addresses.
- A meeting at Mark Village Hall called by their Parish Council on 31st July clearly showed majority opinion against the proposed wind farm. We now have two representatives from Mark on the Committee.
- As at 5th August, 136 letters/emails have been received by Sedgemoor planning opposing the Met Mast. Closing date for objections is 13th August and a decision is expected after 16th August.
- We have our MP Tessa Munt on our side in opposing the wind farm in this area.
- We have full support of the Wells Conservative Constituency office in opposing the proposal.
- We are on the mailing list of NAWAG – National Association against Wind Farms – and have received and continue to receive much useful information from them.
- The Parish Council is listening to our views on matters relating to this Broadview proposal.
- Our website continues to improve. We ask that people visit this frequently for further updates and access to relevant/appropriate information.
- Members are keeping a very close eye on the Bat situation in the area, particularly in Mudgley Lane
- Last but by no means least all the members of the committee are closely involved with their specialties. We have now learned that Broadview intend putting in their full planning application in January 2012, so it is vital to prepare for this
Over the next few months
- Result of the Met Mast planning application will be known – action strategy may need to be adjusted, depending on the outcome.
- Ensure that a continuous campaign of posters, banners and leaflets is maintained,, together with as much press coverage as possible.
- Collecting as much information as we can on the areas where we can oppose Broadview’s wind farm proposal.
- Lobbying where appropriate elected officials at all levels up to and including the Prime Minister.
- Increase the numbers of NoPilow supporters and to formulate a more robust method of communicating with residents/supporters.
- Raising of funds. This is a key element as we will need a sizeable amount to finance the NoPilrow campaign.
- Events are being planned and scheduled.