Overview of Issues
There is information available that suggests that the following is true:
- Wind turbines are noisy and produce inaudible low frequency vibration.
- Property near to Wind Turbines can loose value (up to 35% in some cases).
- It is very likely that somebody is making money at the expense of our village.
- Wind turbines are inefficient (typically, only output on average a third of their maximum capacity).
- Wind Turbines are not a reliable form of energy, as they do not run if it is too windy or if there is not enough wind. Therefore they have to be supplemented with other forms of energy.
- Wind Turbines cause shadow flicker (very irritating flickering across homes due to the shadows from the turbine blades).
- There are many environment related issues (including wildlife)
Further brief summaries associated with some of the issues can be found using the left hand navigation for each topic.
A very good source of information on the aspects of Windfarms that is easy to read and understand, can be viewed or downloaded by clicking on Wind Farms and Selby District.